Graduate Recruitment Program for Special Education Teachers
This exciting program is open to all undergraduates currently completing teacher training.
Successful applicants will be joining a team of more than 250 teachers within Autism Spectrum Australia (Aspect) schools.
As an Aspect Graduate Recruit, you will:
- Start your career with a teaching team that will mentor and support you
- Join one of the fastest growing education sectors in Australia. In the last two years, student places in Aspect schools have grown by over 20%
- Work in an innovative educational environment
- Participate in ongoing professional development
- Engage in an exciting, challenging and rewarding career
- Make a real difference to your students and the lives of their families
Remuneration and Employee Benefits
Aspect offers competitive remuneration with tax free benefits. As an Aspect staff member, you will be able to package the first $16,050 of your salary tax free. You can maximise your salary even further by packaging dining expenses or a laptop or by topping up your superannuation.
Teaching with Aspect
Aspect schools cater to children aged from 4 to 17. They focus on equipping students to become as independent as possible and enabling them to integrate into the wider community. Class sizes are small, ranging from 4 to 6 students, so our teachers can really focus on individual students’ needs. Each classroom has a teacher aide to support the teaching program.
We have a network of schools and centres across Sydney and regional NSW, each of which operates a variety of classes. Some Aspect school classes are located in mainstream schools (satellite classes).
We are looking for...
- Sound academic records
- Good reports of teaching practice or documented evidence of potential
- Evidence of your commitment to teaching
- Enthusiasm for teaching
- A passion for working in the disability education sector
- A desire to make a difference to your students’ lives
Do I need to undertake other special education training to work with Aspect?
Many of our graduate recruits have Special Education qualifications. However, we do provide ongoing mentoring and training to help develop staff skills in special education.
What qualifications are required?
A degree in education and registration with the NSW Teachers’ Institute.
How to apply
1. Complete the online graduate recruitment program application form. The checklist below will help ensure you complete all the necessary information.
2. Write a brief covering letter which addresses all of the following in no more than 500 words:
- Why do you wish be a teacher at an Aspect school?
- How will you contribute to the learning community in an Aspect school?
- With reference to insights gained during your studies and your practicum/s:
What would you consider good teaching practice?
What insights have you gained about how children with a disability best learn?
3. Attach a copy of your resume/CV which includes information about your extra curricular activities while you have been studying.
4. Attach copies of relevant course results and practicum reports.
5. Submit before applications close - 5pm (AEST) Friday 5 October 2012.
The selection process
1. Eligible applicants attend an interview
2. Referees are contacted
3. Applicants undergo a Working with Children Check
4. Applicants undertake a Pre-employment Functional Assessment
5. Successful applicants are notified
6. Recruits participate in an induction program
8. Positions commence in line with advertised recruitment vacancies
Need more information?
Click here for more information on working with Aspect or contact
, Assistant Director, Education - Aspect Schools, on phone 02 8868 8500.